There’s so many terminologies popping up these days and one of the more common ones happens to be self care.
Many of us would interpret self care as taking care of yourself, and you would be right. That is basically what self care is.
However, the question to be asked is, how do you take care of yourself?
Your physical, mental and emotional health is extremely important & even though self care is an extremely simple concept, we tend to overlook it quite easily.
Good self-care is what makes you the happiest version of yourself.
That means loving yourself, knowing what triggers your anxiety and stress, getting enough sleep, spending time with your loved ones, relaxing in your own special way, & doing things that you love and that make you laugh.
Self care is NOT selfish!
If you don’t take care of yourself, how can you take care of anyone else?
9 BENEFITS OF SELF CARE
- Improves your mood
- Increases self esteem
- Increases productivity
- Reduces anxiety
- Leads to stronger relationships with yourself and others
- Boosts your immune system
- Increases your self control
- Reduces your stress
- Promotes better sleep
Need ideas to get started? Work your way through this list and find your favourites:
50 WAYS TO PRACTICE SELF CARE
- Go for a rub or a walk
- Buy yourself some beautiful flowers
- Schedule lunch with your favourite friend/s
- Make a list of things you’re grateful for
- Turn your phone off for the evening
- Pamper yourself with a facial at home
- Cook something healthy for dinner
- Take a nap
- Schedule a date night, even if it’s just with yourself
- Drink more water
- Clean your house (you can’t relax in a mess!)
- Light a scented candle you love
- Forgive yourself for something you’ve been punishing yourself for
- Check in with your budget
- Give yourself a manicure
- Unfriend people on social media who bring you down
- Try adding essential oils to your pampering products (learn how to do this safely)
- Ask for help with your to-do list
- Take a bubble bath
- Connect to your spirituality or pray your Salaah
- Set goals for self-improvement and take them one day at a time
- Take your vitamins
- Make a playlist of songs or nasheeds that make you happy
- Wear your favorite outfit or perfume when you know you have a rough day ahead
- Get 30 minutes of exercise
- Throw away old makeup (and clean your makeup brushes!)
- Floss your teeth (you know you don’t do it as often as you should)
- Buy yourself a latte or treat
- Practice breathing exercises
- Clean out your closet and donate what you don’t wear
- Have a picnic in a park or at the botanical gardens
- Paint, draw, or do something creative
- Sign up for a continuing education class or volunteer program
- Treat yourself to a movie night
- Spend 30 minutes reading a chapter of a new book or flipping through a magazine
- Do something that makes you happy
- Go to bed early (or sleep in if that’s more your style)
- Seek professional counseling if you’re struggling emotionally
- Indulge in a massage (check online for specials)
- Eat lunch outside
- Make an appointment to get your hair cut or done
- Wash your face with your favourite facial gel/wash/scrub
- Do a crossword puzzle
- Make a cup of herbal tea
- Try meditation; you can find lots of apps with free guided meditation online
- Read the Qur’aan
- Read Tasbeeh
- Read durood Sharif
- Make istighfaar
- Pray extra nafl Salaah, eg. Ishraaq salaah, Chaasht Salaah, Salaatul Awwabeen, Salaatul Tasbeeh, Salaatul Taubah, etc.
What forms of self care do you practice regularly? Tell us what works for you in the comments.